Did you recently lose a loved one in your family due to the careless and negligent actions of someone else? If answered yes, you might be eligible to claim compensation by filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the at-fault party. While it is true that no amount of money can ever replace the value of the person you lost, compensation can certainly help you in dealing with the financial aspects related to the death of the person.
A wrongful death lawyer can help you build a solid case against the at-fault party. But before you seek his help, you should know how to build a strong case in order to increase your chances of winning.
Establishing intentional damage or negligence
A wrongful death case can be built on the basis of either intentional damage or negligence. While working with your attorney, you have to prove either of these by determining the following elements:
- The defendant possessed a duty of care towards the deceased person. For example, a driver who is driving the car of his owner has the liability to operate the car safely on the road. Similarly, a doctor also has a duty of care to abide by medical standards while giving treatment to a patient.
- The defendant violated this duty of care
- This violation led to the accident and consequential death
- The death of the victim led to losses for the family and other survivors
When you want to prove that the death of your loved one was due to purposeful damage don’t towards him, you have to establish the below-mentioned elements:
- The defendant always had the intention to commit the criminal act
- The defendant made non-consensual contact with the deceased person. For example, the defendant could have used a weapon or hit the victim in a car crash.
- This non-consensual contact led to fatal damage to the victim.
When you have to establish these elements, you have to investigate properly, gather evidence, and build the case watchfully. It is imperative that you walk with a wrongful death attorney as he is the best person to help you in these aspects.
Consult a wrongful death attorney for the best results
Now that you have lost a loved one in your family due to the dengue legends of someone else, you might be overwhelmed and unsure of who to turn to for help. This is probably the ideal time to seek the help of a wrongful death attorney who can understand the pain and suffering you are going through and who will fight for justice.